In the diving industry there is a common misconception regarding the meaning of “Internship”. Many people believe that it means that you get the Divemaster or Instructor courses for free in exchange for working around the dive centre. At The Dive Academy both the Divemaster Course and the Master Scuba Diver Trainer Course are completed by means of an “Internship” which you pay for. What it actually means is that you complete the courses over a period of time by working alongside our PADI Instructors, learning and gaining valuable experience by watching real courses, real students and by learning what other jobs around the dive centre are carried out by our PADI Pro’s to help the dive centre function on a daily basis. This includes packing bags, washing equipment, equipment maintainence, helping keep our pool crystal clear by clearing leaves, dealing with Social Media, customer service issues and many other day to day tasks that are required to run the business. Learning the essential but less glamourous side to being a PADI Professional is part of the courses which people pay for, particularly Divemaster.There are many reasons why “free internships in exchange for work” are not a good idea and in our opinion are bad for the diving industry and is why we don’t offer them:
- As a non-pro you are unable to carry out any in-water diving activities which severely limits your usefulness. A good dive centre would hopefully have all of the jobs required to run effectively already being carried out without the use of additional free labour otherwise how would they function? If that is the case you would only be given the real meaningless and worthless tasks to carry out which would be of no benefit to your development and very little benefit to the dive centre you are asking to provide you with free, quality training. It is known that often free interns are used as nothing more than cheap labour.
- PADI Pro’s spend a lot of time, effort and money along the way to gaining a good amount of knowledge and experience so why would we give away for free the benefit of that knowledge and experience? If you get it for free there is a good chance that your training will not be as good or carried out with as much enthusiasm as it would if you paid for it.
- Being a PADI Pro isn’t all about diving with lovely fishes and getting a suntan. It is an amazing lifestyle and a great way to live but like many other professions it is hard work and some of it not so glamourous. You need to learn as much about your new profession as you can, the good bits and the not so good, to help you become a success.
- Here in Thailand it is illegal to work without a work permit so a free internship could lead to problems for both us and anybody doing jobs around the dive centre without one.
- There are many Divemasters and Instructors in the diving industry looking for work that have spent money and time on becoming a Pro and having people work for free only makes finding a job more difficult for those deserving of it.
If you are looking to become a PADI Pro the right way and are willing to pay for your Divemaster Course we will be happy to discuss the details with you.